Affidavits, Letters and Statutory Declarations


An affidavit is a document that contains statements that are verified by the swearing or affirmation of an oath by the deponent (the person taking the oath). An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts that has been written down and sworn by the deponent before an individual who is authorized to administer oaths.

Affidavits for OSAP

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a financial aid program that can help you pay for the college or university. If you are unable to provide the required supporting documentation for your application, you can provide an official sworn affidavit. OSAP applications require affidavits if you are any of the following:

In a common-law relationship – Single Parent/Guardian – Separated – Widowed


(RIN Number) Company Registrant Identification Number

RIN for Corporations and Businesses

Motor Vehicle Registration For Corporations

Starting January 1st, 2020 in Ontario, if you want to register motor vehicles in the name of a corporation, create a Company Registrant Identification Number or to make a data change to an existing company RIN, Ministry of Transportation will require a notarized letter. We can provide you with this letter.

Statutory Declarations

A statutory declaration is similar to an affidavit, but the verification is done by solemn declaration (not oath) and is used when there is no legislative authority for an affidavit. A statutory declaration is usually used outside of Court settings.

Custodianship Declarations – Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada

Custodian for minors studying in Canada (Form IMM 5646) is to be completed by the Canadian custodians of minor children travelling without their parent(s) or legal guardians to study in Canada. This form is required until the child reaches the age of majority. This form has two pages. The first page needs to be signed by the custodian and notarized in Canada and the second page needs to be signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child and notarized in their home country. We notarize this declaration on regular basis.

Single Status Affidavits and Declarations

If you are planning to get married abroad, you may need single status affidavit or declaration. We can draft and notarize your single status affidavit and declaration. After notarization, your document will require authentication and legalization. The authentication and legalization process enables Canadian documents to be recognized in another country. Department of Global Affairs and each consulate has specific requirements for authentication and legalization of Canadian documents. Please ensure that your documents are prepared in accordance with the requirements.

Statutory Declarations for Construction Progress Payments (CCDC 9A – 2018 and 9B – 2018)

These statutory declarations are sworn statements that are used so that contractors or subcontractors can be paid their progress draws or hold back releases. The signing party swears that its account for that particular job have been fully paid up to and including the last payment draw. The statutory declaration assures the paying party that their funds are reaching those lower on the pyramid.

CCDC 9A – 2018 Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution by Contractor is a sworn statement for use by the Contractor as a condition of receiving payment for either the second and subsequent applications for progress payment or the release of holdback funds.

CCDC 9B – 2018 Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution by Subcontractor is a sworn statement for use by the Subcontractor as a condition of receiving payment for either the second and subsequent applications for progress payment or the release of holdback funds.

Statutory Declaration Form for Name Change in Ontario

There are 3 ways to change your last name:

Assume your spouse’s last name due to marriage
Elect to legally change your last name (while married or in a conjugal relationship)
Elect go back to your previous last name (marriage dissolved or conjugal relationship ended)
Statutory Declarations of Common-law Union
A statutory declaration of common-law union is often required for various purposes by governmental agencies, both in Canada and other countries around the world where common-law relationship is also legally recognized.

Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Vehicle in Ontario

You can transfer ownership of a vehicle within family by way of a gift without paying the retail sales tax. A vehicle can be gifted within a family to the following:

  • spouse
  • parent or step-parent
  • grandparent or step-grandparent
  • son or step-son
  • daughter or step-daughter
  • grandson or step-grandson
  • granddaughter or step-granddaughter
  • son-in-law
  • daughter-in-law
  • father-in-law
  • mother-in-law
  • sibling
  • half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
  • adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption)

You will need to bring the following documents to a Service Ontario centre:

  • a completed and notarized sworn statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
  • proof of Ontario insurance
  • your Ontario driver’s licence
  • Safety Standards Certificate (not required for spouse to spouse transfers)
  • emissions test (only if you are using the retail tax exemption and your vehicle is due for its regular emissions test.)
  • vehicle ownership permit with the completed portion on the back, and
  • a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (this is required on spouse to spouse transfers in order to exempt them from the Safety Standards Certificate and the Drive Clean emissions test requirements)

Only one exempt transfer of the same vehicle, between family members, is allowed within a 12-month period.

If you are in need of an affidavit or statutory declaration, contact us today at (647) 505-8585 and we will be happy to help you get your affidavit or statutory declaration.

Notary Public Near Me | Notary Public Affidavit | Statutory Declaration | North York Notary Public | Notarized Affidavit | Notary Near Me | Travel Consent Letter | Invitation Letter